Choosing the perfect window dressing is a big decision. And one you don’t want to get wrong! if you can’t decide between blinds or shutters, we’re here to help.
In this blog, we’re going to outline the pros and cons of both shutter and blinds.
The Pros Of Shutters
Shutters are a sophisticated and stylish window dressing, which look great in any room and seamlessly complement all decors. Here are some of the best things about shutters:
- Shutters are available in a range of styles, materials (Wood, Faux wood) and colours. You even have the choice of Custom Colour Shutters to perfectly match your colour scheme.
- Shutters are durable, sturdy, and long-lasting. They will last years in even the busiest of family homes.
- They are suitable in every room of the house, including the kitchen and bathroom.
- Shutters are easy to keep clean and are simple to maintain.
- They don’t have chains or cords so are always child and pet friendly.
- Shutters provide excellent ventilation and light control.
- As they are fitted to your window, they will insulate your home during the winter months.
- Shutters enhance the beauty of arched, round or unusually-shapes windows.
- Blackout shutters are available for bedrooms.
The Cons Of Shutters
Shutters are an ideal window dressing for any home, so it may come as no surprise that there aren’t many downsides to choosing shutters:
- As you are paying for quality and longevity, shutters can be more expensive than other window dressings, including blinds.
- Shutters take longer to install than other window dressings.
The Pros Of Blinds
Blinds are a popular window dressing thanks to their versatility and style choices. Here are the pros of choosing blinds for your home:
- Blinds are available in a variety of styles, colours and patterns.
- Depending on the style, blinds can be adjusted to easily control the light and privacy levels.
- Blinds are an affordable window dressing.
- Blinds are quick to install.
- Blackout blinds are available, which are ideal for bedrooms. Similarly, thermal blinds insulate your home.
The Cons Of Blinds
Blinds are ideal you are looking for an affordable and versatile window dressing. Here are some of the downsides of blinds:
- Blinds are not as robust as shutters and will need replacing sooner.
- Some blind fabrics can be damaged by moisture or UV rays.
- Blinds require more maintenance than shutters and some blind styles and fabrics can be challenging to clean.
- Some blinds feature cords or chains, which can pose a risk to children and pets.
Blinds Or Shutters: What To Consider
Before you choose blinds or shutters for you home, there are a few things to consider, including the type of window, the room they will be going in, the cost and your personal preference.
Type Of Window
If you have standard windows, fitted blinds or shutters should fit. However, if you have got unusually shaped windows, such as an arched or circular window, shutters will be the best option. The elegance of shutters will complement the beauty of an unusually-shaped window. Alternatively, if you have a lot of windows in one room (think conservatories!), then blinds may be the better option as they will be the most cost-effective.
Both blinds and shutters look great in every room of the home. However, if you are choosing a window dressing for your kitchen, dining room or children’s bedroom, you may want something easy to clean and maintain. Therefore, shutters may be a better option. Alternatively, you may want to choose blinds with a PVC coating.
Or, if you have just moved into your home, or you have recently renovated, you may want a window dressing that will last a long time, such as shutters.
Cost And Personal Preference
Your budget plays a huge role in the type of window dressing you choose. If you are looking for quality, style and longevity, shutters are for you. However, if you are working with a tight budget, blinds may be the better option.
And of course, your style and preference make the final decision! If you are looking for style and elegance in your lounge, shutters are the window dressing for you. Or if you want a playfully patterned window dressing for a child’s bedroom, blinds are the best option.
Get In Touch
Here at Shuttertec, we supply beautiful bespoke shutters to Essex, London and Kent. If you are looking for shutters for your home, get in touch. Or if you would like a combination of shutters and blinds throughout your home, we can provide fitted blinds as a shutter add-on!
You can contact us on 0800 023 5754 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are on the other end of the phone 6 days a week! Or you can book an appointment online. We can discuss your shutter needs, measure your space, show you samples and answer any questions you may have.
We would love to hear from you. Alternatively, you can request our latest brochure here.